Rivers Run Red
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

House Rules

4 posters

Go down

House Rules Empty House Rules

Post by AC-Lacy Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:51 pm

So as I'm aware.

"DO NOT USE THE HOUSE RULES"

Can we get a post saying which rules we should use as a stand in rather than the 5-6 pages of incorrect information. Just having that up is going to have players confused, and the more anal retentive of us hot and bothered (ohhh momma). So this is a formal request to either replace the house rules page with "For now, please use LotN:R and DE, with XYZ changes, more incoming" rather than some of the incorrect and drastic changes listed currently?

AC-Lacy

Back to top Go down

House Rules Empty Re: House Rules

Post by Admin Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:51 pm

Yes, but give it a week... once we have everything finalized the full rules will be up... it will be well before next game...
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://riversrunred.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AC-Lacy Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:54 pm

No prob, I promise to not bring it up again till the 4th, but also am willing to help in any way you guys may need.

AC-Lacy

Back to top Go down

Post by AC-Lacy Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:55 pm

Well lets be honest the 5th, nobody wants to think about this crud on the 4th of July

AC-Lacy

Back to top Go down

Post by AC-Lacy Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:13 pm

Ah the fifth comes to be, this topics song will be "Breaking all the rules" by Ozzy.stranger

Well I know
I could be just another stranger

AC-Lacy

Back to top Go down

Post by SSmith Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:48 pm

Just my two cents, but I think it's silly to require intermediate Animalism to have animal ghouls, and I'm not just saying that because I'm playing a Nosferatu. That ruling is literally supported nowhere in the text.
SSmith
SSmith

Back to top Go down

Post by AC-Lacy Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:20 pm

Policy is the scar tissue of corporations. They are there because something terrible happened, that staff never wishes to have happen again. The problem arises that you forget how you get your scars. Maybe there was a timewhen people had a bunch of animal ghouls..we don't know. I say, let is keep rules as simple and unchanged add possible, except this that are obviously harmful to game ( obten 3 I'm looking at you). I'd be happy to go over the rules with any staff if they need a sounding board. Also that rules document is huuuggggeeeee. Maybe some of them can be condensed?

AC-Lacy

Back to top Go down

Post by Razor Greene Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:30 pm

In the back of Liber des Goules is an appendix for Animals as Ghouls. It mentions that Animalism is needed to get any real use out of ghouled animals and that Ghouling makes animals hyper violent. In fact animal ghouls get negative traits and derangements from being ghouled. All ghouls can frenzy and from the reading of the appendix it implies that the nature of animals (pure instinct) coupled with the hyper aggressive nature makes them uncontrollable without higher levels of animalism.

Every LARP I've ever played in has interpreted the readings this way. The logic is sound and the mechanics are there (albeit not very clear and structured).

No, there's nothing saying you can't go tot he zoo, feed a bunch of lions and watch the chaos as the smallest provocation causes them to frenzy, but you very well might get chewed on as well.
Razor Greene
Razor Greene

Back to top Go down

Post by AC-Lacy Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:56 pm

Ahh Libre Des Ghoules, published in the Year of the Ally, 1997. What a good book for an ailing system, hailing from the days when characters had 4 health levels, and buying disciplines in the order of basic/basic/intermediate/intermediate/advanced was just a suggestion. Considering Laws of the Night revised came out in 1999, I think maybe we should look into the Revised material for resources for house rules. Personal opinion is all.

AC-Lacy

Back to top Go down

Post by SSmith Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:07 pm

Lacy said pretty much exactly what I was going to say. Unless we're actually going to play using an earlier edition, I stand by what I said.
SSmith
SSmith

Back to top Go down

Post by Razor Greene Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:52 pm

So we don't use "out dated material", even though in Laws of the Night in the section on ghouls the company that produced the game actually says that if you would like to read more in depth about ghouls to look in Liber des Goules?

Sure. Okay.

If it is so anathema to use an unrevised book for ANY reason and since there is no revised book for ghouls, then run them exactly as from Laws of the Night (you know, barring the part where it tells you to use the unrevised material) where there is a 1 page description of them with no mechanics and only briefly mentions revenant lines and human ghouls.

Razor Greene
Razor Greene

Back to top Go down

Post by SSmith Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:04 pm

Wow. Your attitude kind of sucks. I didn't say "Run it my way or I hate you." I said I disagree with the house rule. If I can't voice my opinion without drawing instant abuse, well, I guess that's a good thing to learn early on.
SSmith
SSmith

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:16 pm

Kids, play nice... or I'll go get my stick...

Good rules for Ghouls have never really been published... technically the most up to date sources are Liber des ghouls and Fatal Attraction... One of the many things that are being looked into...
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://riversrunred.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AC-Lacy Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:57 pm

I'm just looking for a condensed, up to date, and concise agreement upon the rules of the current state of game. I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers about their prefered books. I'd just be happy to know the playground rules I'm entering before I sit down in the sandbox.

AC-Lacy

Back to top Go down

Post by Razor Greene Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:16 pm

I'm just gonna leave this: right there.

ANYWAY-

The fact remains that there was a claim that
That ruling is literally supported nowhere in the text.
and while TECHNICALLY true, I cited material that IS written in text that supports why the STs might have made that call.

White Wolf wrote a terrible series of books. The only things that fall into "editions" are the core books and everything else between 2nd and Revised is an amorphous blob that doesn't fall into either edition neatly (barring some mechanical things that are, again, amorphous at best). When a revised book says "Use this old source book" I don't understand how you can take the stance of "It isn't revised, so screw that" especially when it is the -ONLY- printed material that goes in to depth.

I stand by what I said. If it is anathema to use anything unrevised, then I say to use ONLY the revised material, as written, which is no more than a page of flavor.

I could care less what the STs decide, because I'm going to roll with whatever they say the rules are.

Razor Greene
Razor Greene

Back to top Go down

Post by AC-Lacy Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:04 am

Either way, back to the song

"But to you I guess I'm just another fool"

AC-Lacy

Back to top Go down

Post by AC-Lacy Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:15 pm

Then you hide behind a wall of silly rules